Posted by: ctbtonewsroom | January 27, 2011

Statement by CTBTO Executive Secretary Tibor Tóth on approval by the Russian Federation of the New START Treaty

On Wednesday, 26 December, 2011, the Federal Council (upper house) of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation, ratified the “New START” agreement on bilateral strategic arms reductions with the United States. All 137 senators present approved the Treaty. The day before, on 25 January 2011, the State Duma (lower house) had approved the Treaty with 350 votes for and 96 votes against.

Welcoming this development, Tibor Tóth, the Executive Secretary of the Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO) made the following statement:

Vienna, 27 January 2010 

VIENNA – “The ratification of the New START Treaty by the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation fulfills tireless effort on two continents and across the political spectrum that commits the Russian Federation and the United States to a new course in pursuing nuclear arms reductions,” said Tibor Tóth.

“I pay tribute to President Dmitry Medvedev and President Barack Obama, who commenced this journey in Prague in April last year when they signed the Treaty. The finish line was in the Russian parliament on 26 January 2011,” said the CTBTO Executive Secretary.

“This is a salutary achievement, an important step forward towards broader nuclear disarmament and I also welcome President Medvedev’s call for further reductions in stockpiles of strategic weapons,”  Tóth said.

Also read here.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: