Foreign ministers and other high-level representatives from the 183 States Signatories to the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) will gather at the United Nations Headquarters in New York on 27 September 2013 to promote the entry into force of the Treaty that bans all nuclear testing. The Conference on Facilitating the Entry into Force of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty is open to the press and to non-governmental organizations.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon will open the conference, which will be jointly chaired by János Martonyi and Marty Natalegawa, the Foreign Ministers of Hungary and Indonesia respectively.
Time & venue: Friday, 27 September 2013, 10.00-13.00 and 15.00-18.00 at the UN Headquarters, Conference Room 3 (Conference Building), see agenda [PDF].
Items of media interest
- Photo op at the opening of the conference, Friday, 27 September 2013, 09.55, UN Headquarters, Conference Room 3 (Conference Building)
- Press briefing on 27 September 2013 at 11.00 at the UN Headquarters, Press Briefing Room. Participants: The Foreign Ministers of Hungary and Indonesia and CTBTO Executive Secretary Lassina Zerbo
Interview and photo op with members of the newly formed Group of Eminent Persons (GEM) to support the CTBT’s entry into force. Members include Hans Blix, Jayantha Dhanapala and Kevin Rudd: Thursday 26 September 14:45 to 15.05 (photo op at 15.00) at the UN Secretariat building, room 27 27 (27th floor). Due to restricted access and space, registration is required in addition to the standard UN media registration: email@example.com.
- Interview requests with conference participants or members of the GEM: contact Thomas Mützelburg (Tel.: +43 699 1459 6421)
- UN TV will cover the entire conference via web stream.
- More information: conference webpage; image packages for download: CTBTO Newsroom
Full media advisory with registration info & background here.